Recipe: Shrimp Ceviche
In my 2010 cookbook, Third Coast Cuisine, I included a classic Yucatan Civiche with lots of fresh fish and shell fish. It was a very involved recipe and very delicious. Now thought I’d do one that’s a little more approachable. Enjoy!
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 TBL oregano
- 1 small tomato, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1 pound fresh Gulf shrimp, peeled, de-veined and finely diced
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice (you can use regular lime juice but it isn’t the same)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 avacado, finely diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 TBL extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl add first 13 ingredients in order. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover tightly with cellophane and refrigerate for at least three hours.
- Drain excess liquid before serving, toss with olive oil and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips or platanos (fried plantains).