Revamped: BBQ Pitmasters Season 2

According to TLC’s web site the new season of BBQ Pitmasters will have little resemblance to it’s inaugural season.  In season one, Pitmasters followed the nation’s top meat smokers on the ultra competitive Kansas City BBQ circuit.  This year, well …

“The competition to become a Pitmaster just got more heated. BBQ Pitmasters is back with a whole new look and whole new format. The show now pits teams against each other in a series of challenges – all under fire to win the title of BBQ Pitmaster. The teams will have to impress an expert panel of judges who will pick apart each contestant as they vie for the grand prize.”

Myron Mixon on WannabeTVchef.comJudges for season two include season one break out star Myron Mixon.  Myron never met a a rib he didn’t think was inferior to his own.  Mixon made his mark on season one by being very critical of his competitors and the judges.  He was very critical of everything really except his own BBQ and his wife who it was clear from candid footage is the light of his life.  Myron is opinionated, foul mouthed and one of the foremost experts in the world on traditional American BBQ.

Warren Sapp on WannabeTVchef.comWarren Sapp is a hall of fame football player.  He has also proven he can dance (sort of).  But what Warren really excels at is eating.  Sapp won a National Championship with the Miami Hurricanes where he played on a star studded team that included linebacker Ray Lewis.  In the NFL, Sapp was the cornerstone of the legendary Tampa defense that brought the city it’s lone Super Bowl victory.  If there is anyone better suited to set Mixon straight I’d like to know who it is?

Art Smith on WannabeTVchef.comThe final judge is cheflebrity Art Smith.  Art has been a contestant on Top Chef: Masters and a judge on Iron Chef.  He has cooked for Presidents, governors and foreign dignitaries.  He also authored the award winning cookbooks Back to the Table and Kitchen Life (both available at amazon). But Smith is best known for having been Oprah’s personal chef.  Clearly Smith has the culinary acumen but the question is if his Truman Capote-esque persona can stand up to the machismo of the other two judges.  That may be the dynamic that makes this show stand out.

So will the new format attract more viewers or alienate the established, predominately male fan base?  The new season of the revamped BBQ Pitmasters premieres on Thursday August 12th at 10/9 Central on TLC.

9 Responses to Revamped: BBQ Pitmasters Season 2

• I thought that was Warren Sapp on the previews. Unreal! I'll give it a chance but I liked Season 1 not sure we needed this entire revamp.

• Kris says:

This revamp stinks. It's an exact copy of Challenge from the Food Network. Almost down to the host. Same look and voice. The only difference is instead of baking cakes they're grilling pork. Very disappointing. You have definitely lost a fan from last year. If the ratings were good enough to bring the show back, why change the style and format. TLC can really screw things up. Bring us some originality and stop copying other network shows with your own little (minute) changes.

• BBQ cooker says:

Look, Survivor was a good show, but BBQ as a reality show is going to bring in less audience than the original format (that I enjoyed). I am deeply disappointed.

• I missed the premiere of the new season. Like most of you I thoroughly enjoyed last season. When I was reading the changes I thought to myself that they have taken an original show and made it look like all the rest. I'll still check it out because I love BBQ and I am anxious to see whether Myron learns the hard way why the average guy should not mouth off to an NFL defensive lineman.

• Vitality says:

the new format alienated me! and i'm a woman.

• Jeff says:

The new format is horrible. They need to bring back the format from season 1. TLC/Discovery obviously isn't familiar with the demographic on this one.

• Tom says:

just watched my first pitmasters episode this year. new format stinks. iron chef outdoors. frog leg challenge and loser goes home! ITS BBQ PITMASTERS NOT BBQ IRON CHEF!!! AND LOSE THE TURDUCKEN…PPPPLLLEEEAASE!

• kyle says:

Like overcooked brisket, the new season is simply awful. No reason to watch.

• Kevin says:

The new format stinks. I really enjoyed season 1. I have watched 2 episodes of season 2, and I am done. Too bad; it was an interesting and entertaining show. I realize that I am not the typical TV viewer; I don't enjoy watching tacky, contrived, scripted melodrama posing as "reality". But isn't there room for a few shows that are different? The folks who enjoy low-brow shtick already have:

The Bachelor
    The X Factor
    So You Think You Can Dance
    The Jersey shore
    The Apprentice
    Undercover Boss
    etc, etc, etc

I probably sound like a snob, but it really is pretty pathetic………