New Recipe: Mediterranean Tuna Pockets
Each week as part of my duties with TheKitchenHotline.com I plan a full menu of meals that feed a family of four for an entire week. Each day’s menu feeds the family three meals plus a snack for the kiddies. These recipes need to be relatively easy to allow more quality time for the family to spend together. Another part of my charge is to come up with healthy recipes. Each week I will share one of these recipes with you. Here’s this week’s:
- 1 large can albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 vine ripened tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 4 ounces chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 4 whole-grain pita breads
In a bowl combine the tuna, onion, capers, tomatoes and olives. Fold in the oregano, olive oil and lemon juice. Season with Salt & pepper to taste and zest. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Toast the pita bread and cut in half. Open up each pocket and stuff with tuna mixture then serve.
Make gluten-free by substituting gluten-free naan or pita bread. Each portion contains 292 calories, 20 grams of fat, 20 grams of carbohydrates and 11 grams of protein.