Burger Crawl: Mobile, AL
Mobile, AL is known for some of the best seafood in the entire world. It also comes as little surprise that Alabama’s port city is a haven for great soul food as well. When it comes to BBQ Mobile is closing in on cities like Memphis and Kansas City. But Mobile is no slouch when it comes to the great American burger either.
- A burger crawl is when you try a burger from several different places in the space of a few days or even all in one day.
- I break burgers down into these categories –
- classic diner style – a 5 oz or larger patty with typical bun and condiments
- fast food style sliders – pattys that are less than 5 oz on normal buns
- fantsy-pants burgers – not a derogatory term at all, these burgers feature premium ingredients, innovative toppings and creative buns.
Recently I went on a burger crawl in Los Angeles, a town with a reputation as a burger Mecca. It just seems fair that I’d make a burger crawl in my own hometown as well. Check this out.
These are not the only great burgers in the area. I just simply ran out of time. Others I’ve had in the past and highly recommend include Heroe’s Sports Bar downtown, Butch Cassidy’s on Florida Street, Dick Russell’s BBQ in Tillman’s Corner and Time 2 Eat Cafe in Theodore. There are a few national chains that do pretty good burgers as well like Cheeburger, Cheebruger, Five Guys and Hardee’s Thickburger is still a game changer.
2012 Finalist in the Safeway Next Chef Contest
2011 Taste Award Nominee for Little Grill Big Flavor
2011, 12 Member: Council of Media Tastemakers
2011 Judge: 29th Chef's of the Coast Cook-off
2011 Judge: Dauphin Island Wing Cook-off
2011 Cooking Channel Perfect 3 Recipe Finalist
2011 Judge: Dauphin Island Gumbo Cook-off
2011 Culinary Hall of Fame Member
2010 Tasty Awards Judge
2010 Judge: Bayou La Batre Gumbo Cook-off
2010 Gourmand World Cookbook Award Nominee
2010 Chef2Chef Top 10 Best Food Blogs
2010 Denay's Top 10 Best Food Blogs
2009 2nd Place Bay Area Food Bank Chef Challenge
2008 Tava: Discovery Contest Runner-up