Recipe: Fried Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce
You read that right, “Fried Bread Pudding.” Because in the South we fry everything. This cooking method is all about texture – a very crunchy exterior with a smooth, creamy interior. It’s rare that ever make bread pudding without a hard sauce; after all bread pudding isn’t supposed to be food it’s a very thick cocktail. However, for this bread pudding I incorporate a trend that I admit to being a fan of – salted caramel. If you’ve been looking for an easy Wow! dish for Christmas or New Years here you go.
|Fried Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce||
- 2 cups demarerra sugar
- 5 large beaten eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups French bread, cubed and stale
- 1/2 cup store bought or homemade caramel sauce
- Seat salt to taste
- Line a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan with wax paper.
- Add bread to wax paper-covered pan.
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs and milk in a bowl then mix in the vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Place pan in freezer for up to one hour.
- Remove from freezer and cut into 1″ pieces then return to freezer for at least four hours.
- Preheat the deep fryer to 350 degrees (American).
- Break apart frozen bread pudding into individual 1″ pieces then place into fryer basket and fry for about two minutes.
- Drain for a few seconds then plate drizzled with caramel sauce and sprinkle with sea salt.