Bowl Game Grub: “War Eagle” Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip
Well football fans the post season is on us. The first week of bowls has given us a few fireworks and the intensity keeps building all the way up to the most important game of the college football season – the Peach Bowl between Virginia and my Auburn Tigers. The LSU/Alabama rematch is pretty important too. The NFL playoffs for their part are almost decided. Whether you prefer your bowl games of the Peach or the Super variety it’s time to whip up some special recipes.
This was submitted to me by Chef Kelley Self Whatley, an Auburn fan, for a series on tailgating I did for Current Magazine. With the defending national champions set to play on New Years Eve I thought this a good time to break this one out.
|“War Eagle” Buffalo Chicken CheeseDip||
- 5 or 6 large cans of white chicken breast (not dark and white mixed)
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium Vidalia onions, chopped
- 1 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce (do not use any other kind)
- 2 large packages of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Ranch Dressing (not low fat)
- 2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook until tender
- Lower heat and add cream cheese, chicken (drained and break apart the large chunks), hot sauce, ranch dressing and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Stir until well blended over medium heat.
- Put mixture in greased casserole dish and top with 1 cup cheddar cheese (more if desired).
- Bake 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with bagel chips, tortilla chips or butter crackers.